Monday, March 22, 2010

Home Again

We arrived home yesterday after a long weekend at Harriman.  I really enjoyed the agility trial.  It was fun to watch the dogs and handlers, good to learn more about the agility sport, interesting to meet new dog folks, and helpful to get to know fellow TVKC club members.  It broke my heart to have to keep Menina in her crate the whole weekend.  I have several questions yet on her recovery.  Here is the email I sent to her surgeon today.
  • Surgery: March, 2, 2010, Dr. Blackford repaired luxated superior digital flexor
  • Recovery: 
    1. Cast removed 3/16/2010.
    2. Activity still restricted to crate and short leash for potty.  Using ace to keep her calmer.  Limited activity for 3 more weeks after cast removal.
    3. Using prescribed gentle forward and backward movement to leg for physical therapy several times daily.
    4. Appears to be healing a little every day.  Affected leg appears a little stiff when she walks - range of motion is not yet equal to left leg.  Infrequently, but sometimes, I do see her limp (just a single step) if she walks quickly outside.
    5. Per your instruction, I plan to gradually introduce leash walks after our three week crate restriction. Start 4/6/2010

    HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS: 
  • Would swimming be beneficial?  If so when, how much?
  • At what point can start a gradual I return to agility training?  Jumping? Weaving? Teeter? A-Frame?  Walk?  Tunnels?
  • Registration for May and June competition are opening NOW.  When can I anticipate being able to compete? 
  • Should I get you to look at her again for evaluation prior to training or competing??????  I so want to get back "normal" but I must make sure that we give her the best chance for complete recovery.  Your guidance is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment